lauantai 14. syyskuuta 2013

My journey begins in the True North Strong and Free

Finally here!

Compared to the extremely lost and exhausted girl who hauled 2 heavy suitcases and a ridiculous amount of hand luggage out of Vancouver airport a couple weeks back, I now have a much, MUCH better grasp of things. Is everything in order? Not exactly, but I do have faith that is getting there. I promise. I have sorted out my classes, got my bearings around campus, bought some books, food and even a piece of cutlery or two. Time has flown by these past two weeks and I have a feeling it won’t be slowing down anytime soon. It’s been a busy time and a steep learning curve with so much going on everyday. Nevertheless, I thought I’d try and catch you up on my life over here by sharing things that I have learned thus far.

1) First, it is (unfortunately) true what they say; Vancouver is VERY expensive- let that be said upfront.

2) Sushi (however) is relatively cheap and sold everywhere! (win!)

3) There are two beaches near campus- and as it turns out the one that ISN’T a nudist beach is extremely difficult to find (note: you don’t have to be nude at Wreck Beach- but you can’t be too squeamish about seeing a bare butt every now and again) (also, on a vaguely related note: another thing surprisingly difficult to find here: basic breakfast tea)

4) Campus at UBC is beautiful. No ifs ands or buts about it.

5) The stereotypic North American house parties with keg stands, beer pong, red cups and nachos really DO exist (as do Frat parties, which seem to be always going on, though I’ve yet to experience one)

6) There is a lot more uni work here than in the UK (but it means you need to keep up throughout the term, which may reduce the likelihood of freaking out come end of term and midterms)

7) It's amazing how far a pot, bowl, spoon and mug can take you.

8) When I’m not mistaken for Canadian, or when I say I study in Scotland, I've been told (on quite many occasions, might I add) that I sound Scottish..? That's new.

9) Toilets are washrooms (this term is used all the time), plasters are bandaids, kettles are waterboilers (??), macaroni and cheese can also be called KD, Tim Hortons is everywhere, and the skytrain is actually underground for a significant part of its route.

10) And finally, and almost most importantly; the people here really are super helpful and nice which makes easing into life here so much easier for us nervous exchange students.


So that’s the most of it. It’s not a huge amount, but it’s a start and every day I learn something new. What I can say is that the bits I have thus far discovered and seen of Vancouver and UBC, truly are fantastic- everything from the beautiful scenery both on and off campus, to the friendliness of the people, have made me very happy with my choice of coming here. And so what I’m still sleeping in my sleeping bag? It won’t be long before I get my sheets and bed sorted, and I'll probably learn a lot of unexpected things along the way. 


                                                     UBC Campus



Sunset from our balcony



Vancouver- city scenery

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti