sunnuntai 13. lokakuuta 2013

The upside of midterms

Midterms. That is easily the most discussed topic around campus right now, and has been for a bit over a week. My midterm hell week is only beginning I’m afraid, and so buckling down and studying is what I’ll be doing the next 6 or so days straight, no matter how much I would LOVE to be joining in on all the thanksgiving fun being had by some lucky souls.


That’s right, it is also currently thanksgiving weekend, so virtually everyone is off somewhere; visiting family or friends, or off on trips in the Rockies, Victoria Island, or Banff, just to name a few. However, having stayed back is not all bad either. Today I took a study break stroll around campus and was amazed by the usually busy Main mall street being virtually deserted, the bustling Buchanan building’s surroundings being so tranquil, and even walking through the Irving library, only managing to see a handful of people working away. This, all together with the fact that fall has properly set in here now with the leaves of trees being magnificently coloured, there being a slight nip in the air, but the sunshine still pouring down through the foliage, truly made for one relaxing amble.


Playing in the leaves


I also managed to visit the Richmond night market this weekend before it closes for the winter only to reopen late in the spring. It’s an Asian market with lots of stalls scattered around selling you every thing you could possibly think of that you are sure to never need, such as teddy bear bouquets, and (naturally) Hello-Kitty versions of EVERYTHING. However, the stalls at the back of the market boasted a variety of Asian (and not so Asian) delicacies, which is where (to my joy) we spent the majority of our time. We sampled everything from rotatoes (essentially potatoes wrapped around a stick) to bbq squid, from freezing cold noodles to curry fish balls, and to top it all off had some deep-fried milk (I didn’t get it either..) and deep-fried mars bars for dessert. (FYI, they managed to make them even more unhealthy dousing it in chocolate sauce and, seeing as we are in Canada, maple syrup).


Heart-attack-on-a-stick; aka deep-fried mars bars



So all in all, it’s been a good weekend and I’ve found the thanksgiving-feel in the most unexpected places (e.g. when a class mate in our Swedish class had baked the most delicious little pumpkin tarts for everyone from his HOME GROWN PUMPKINS!!). And at least I finally understand the midterm angst that sets among uni students here; it’s like I’m getting the true Canadian experience. 

So before I get back to studying, I just wanted to take a moment to wish you all a happy Canadian thanksgiving, wherever you might be! 


P.s. You will be happy to know (or maybe you won't, but I sure am!) that I have been sleeping like a baby in my new SHEETS for a good few weeks now J

1 kommentti:

  1. Nice to know. I think the Mars family perfected the bars, hence the deep-frying is unnecessary:-)

    VastaaPoista