lauantai 31. elokuuta 2013

Final countdown

’It was the best of times, it was the worst of times’. Sitting here in the midst of my half packed suitcases and neat little piles of clothing still awaiting their final placement I can’t help but be reminded of those immortal words of Mr. Dickens when thinking back on the past few days and trying to picture the next couple ahead of me. In less than 24 hours I will be leaving my home country (yet again) for a year that I’ve been assured will be full of adventure, in a place far, far away; Vancouver. 

This is both exhilarating and petrifying all at once. Exhilarating because I have only heard good things about Vancouver; the nature is amazing, the campus at UBC is beautiful, there’s tons and tons of things to do, the people are great- I could go on and on. On the other hand, it’s pretty scary having to uproot my entire life (in a sense) and try making a new one for myself thousands of kilometres away from home. You go through seeing all your friends at home for the last time and pack all your dearest belongings and trinkets with you, and you can’t help but feel a bit melancholy (so then you watch some baby animal videos to feel better). 

You’re scared you won’t make any friends, you’ll struggle with your studies, and all around you’ll have a bad time. I think every exchange student can relate to these concerns, and I think it’s completely understandable. However, I have been assured by every person I’ve ever met that has gone on exchange, that it is one of the best things you can do- and as such these fears I mentioned before seem unnecessary. 

Also, I’ve done this before - moving to another country where you didn’t really know anyone or what you were doing; most recently when I moved to Glasgow just two years ago. At first that too was a bit scary before you lay all the ground work; figured out where your classes were, found the food store, made some friends, and joined some clubs. But then I did all those things and it all turned out great. So I know that I am capable of doing it again. It’s just these last few days before leaving, and (no doubt) the first few moments after arriving that are the worst; not knowing what you’re doing, and just waiting and anticipating where this adventure will take you.

In the mean time, you pack and try not to stress too much about it (baby animal videos) - because it will all work out, and (as they say) be The. Best. Time. 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti